Passage Completion is nothing but matching what fits logically in. It’s a mixture of your grammar, vocabulary and reading skills. There is an order and logic to the flow of sentences and you have to have read and solved enough to get this right in your exam. Most bank exams have this type of questions in their syllabus. In Bank PO specifically, passage completion questions are put in the English section of the exam. The good thing is these are multiple choice questions so there is always someplace to start from.
How to ace passage completion questions?
In order to ace passage completion type of questions, one must think in a logical, systematic kind of manner. The best option will fit right in. Sometimes, it even helps if you naturally decide what should fill a gap and then look at the options. This way the closest call has already been set in place. And chances are that this is just your work of memory from your reading time.
Let’s try and solve the following question to understand the above better:
In the following passage, there are some words left blank. These fill-in-the blanks are numbered. These numbers are given below the passage and against each, five options are given, one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word in each case.
In economics, recession is a term that generally describes the reduction of a country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) for at least two quarters. A recession is…( I )…by rising unemployment, an increase in government borrowing,…( II )…, of share and stock prices, and falling investment. All of these characteristics have effects on people. Some recessions have been anticipated by stock market crashes or steep declines. The real estate market also usually…( III )…before a recession. During an economic decline, high…( IV )… stocks such as financial services, pharmaceuticals, and tobacco…( V )…to hold up better.
1. Choose the best option in place of ( X ) from the above passage
A.rich B.costly C.stand D.wealthy E.established
2. Choose the most suited word in place of ( IX ) from the given passage
A.alternative B.different C.substitute D.element E.external
3. Choose the best option ( VIII ) from the given passage
A.fearfully B.dangerous C.abnormally D.normally E.nutritious
4. Choose the most suited word in place of ( VII ) from the passage
A.encompass B.shows C.numbered D.included E.meant
5. Choose the best word in place of ( VI ) from the above passage
A.wait B.recover C.flight D.increased E.fight
Practice questions for you:
- A. The accident occurred in just a moment. B. ______________________. C. The cyclist from the main road didn’t notice it
- A. The cyclist was thrown a few feet away
- B. The cyclist was blinded by a bullock cart moving slowly in the opposite direction
- C. The result was a head-on-collision
- D. A speeding car came from a side road
Answer: Option (d) is correct because the accident occurred due to a speeding car coming from a roadside hit the cyclist